With every new Windows update, we get new features that aims at making our experience even better. Here we will talk about how to fix Windows Update error 0x80070490. This fix is for Windows 7, 8 and 10. Whenever an update is released by Microsoft, it is advisable to install it. The updates not only adds to the features list, but are also important from the security perspective. But while you try to install the updates, sometimes you may face errors that interrupt the process. Here will look into one such error and find out how to fix Windows Update error 0x80070490. Follow the tips and solutions mentioned below to help solve the problem.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070490
When you get the Windows Update error 0x80070490, it means that the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted. Below are some possible solutions to fix this error to have a hassle-free Windows update installation.
So the first tip to solve Windows Update error 0x80070490 is to run sfc (System File Checker ) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool. These could help in fixing the error.
- For SFC, check out this guide.
- For DISM tool, run Command Prompt as administrator. Then type the following in the Command Prompt.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- It will try and find out any file corruptions and fix them so that the Windows update process can be performed.
Check Services Status
Second option to solve error 0x80070490 is to check some of the Windows services status. To do so,
- Press Win + R keys to open Run.
- In Run, type services.msc.
- This opens up the Services window.
- Now in Services windows, look for the following services.
- Windows Update Service
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Cryptographic Service are running properly
- You have to check and see that the above mentioned services’ Startup Type are Automatic (Trigger Start), Automatic (Delayed) and Automatic for Windows Update, BITS and Cryptographic Service respectively. If not then right on service and make the change in the Properties window.
There may an issue with the user profile. You may try to create a new user and try Windows Update installation.
Windows Update Troubleshooter
Finally is none of the aforesaid solutions helped, try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It will try to find the possible issues and suggest or fix them.
That’s all on how to fix Windows Update error 0x80070490.
You may also be interested in: How to Fix Integrated Webcam Not Working on Windows 10