Prey released in May 2017 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. This first person action adventure game is developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. The player controls Morgan Yu, who have to survive and escape the space station Talos 1. In this article we are going to see all the common issues and how to fix Prey errors like crash, freezing, FPS issue and more,
Arkane’s previous game, Dishonored 2 gave sleepless nights to PC players with a lot of bugs and errors. With Prey, it’s the same situation. This guide will list out the common errors PC players are facing and how to fix them.
Have a look at the system requirements mentioned below before you go over to the error fixes’ section.
Prey System Requirements
- CPU: Intel i5-2400, AMD FX-8320
- GPU: GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
- Memory: 8 GB
- CPU: Intel i7-2600K, AMD FX-8350
- GPU: GTX 970 4GB, AMD R9 290 4GB
- Memory: 16 GB
Before playing the game, make sure to download and install PREY Game Ready drivers – AMD, NVIDIA and GEFORCE.
Here is a list of the Prey graphics settings.
- Monitor: Self-explanatory
- Resolution: Self-explanatory
- Display mode: Windows; Fullscreen; Borderless windowed
- Vertical sync: Off/On
- Brightness: Self-explanatory (-5 to 5 in increments of 1)
- Preset: Low; Medium; High; Very High
- Object detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High
- Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
- Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
- Anisotropic filtering: 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
- Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA 1x; SMAA 1Tx; SMAA 2Tx
- Screen-space directional occlusion: Off; Half resolution; Full resolution
- Screen-space reflections: Off; Half resolution; Full resolution
How to Fix Prey Errors: Crash, Freezing, FPS Issue and More
Prey Crash on Startup Fix, Prey Black Screen Issue Fix
Perform a clean installation of the drivers. So far, updating the drivers from scratch has helped fix the issue for some users.
Xbox/ Steam controller not working
Make sure the Steam/ Xbox game controller support is enabled in the game.
Freezing Issues in Prey
Freezing issue sometimes happen due to overheating. Make sure you remove any peripherals that you are not using as this may also be a reason for freeze issue.
Prevent Opening Logos in Prey
Delete the files mentioned below. These are located at
How to Boost FPS in Prey
Now, we talk about how to boost the FPS. First, download RivaTuner Statistics Server. Input the desired framerate in the Framerate Limit box and press ENTER.
For Nvidia GPU players, force half-refresh rate vsync via Nvidia Inspector if you want to run the game at a value half to the refresh rate.
Some players have reported the game to crash every 15 minutes or so. In this case, just go to the Services tab in Task Manager and disable TabletInputService.
No Sound Error in Prey
There is also a bug where there is no speech, audio or dialogues in the game. For this, exit Steam and restart it to try and fix it. Or try a clean install of directx from Microsoft.
You can also change FOV setting. Follow these steps to change the FOV.
- Edit the game.cfg file in notepad. Its in the root Prey folder in Save Games folder (Likely in c:\users\\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey)
- Change this cl_hfov = 85.5656.
You can replace the value upto 120. But be aware that some errors may pop up should you choose to increase the FOV.
Here is a list of preset things in the PREY config file.
- i_useSteamController = 0
- sys_spec = 0
- r_VSync = 1
- r_Fullscreen = 2
- r_Width = 1920
- r_Height = 1080
- r_overrideDXGIOutput = 0
- sys_MaxFPS = 144
- sys_spec_water = 3
- sys_spec_volumetriceffects = 3
- sys_spec_sound = 3
- sys_spec_postprocessing = 3
- sys_spec_physics = 3
- sys_spec_light = 3
- sys_spec_gameeffects = 3
- sys_spec_particles = 3
- sys_spec_shading = 3
- cl_hfov = 92.000000
- r_arkssr = 2
- r_arkssdo = 2
- r_AntialiasingMode = 3
- r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 8
- sys_spec_texture = 4
- sys_spec_shadows = 4
- sys_spec_objectdetail = 4
How to Disable Motion Blur in Prey
- Now, to disable motion blur.
- Make these changes to the PREY config file.
- Edit it with Notepad++. Add this line at the bottom – r_motionblur = 0
How to Disable Chromatic Aberration in Prey
- To disable chromatic aberration, it’s the same as above except you use this line – r_ChromaticAberration = 0
That was all about how to fix Prey errors like Crash, FPS Issue, Freeze Issue, Black Screen error and more.