Google Chromecast needs a reset because it got frozen or if you are shifting to a new area. You need to reset it to factory settings which is also termed as factory data reset (FDR) on the Chromecast.
#Note Before you proceed with the reset, please note that the Google dongle will lose all of your data once you reset.
There are two method doing a factory reset of your Google Chromecast dongle. Here we are talking about the Google Chromecast dongle 2015.
- Through the Chromecast app
- Hard reset of the Chromecast dongle
How to reset Google Chromecast Dongle
- Through Chromecast App
- Open the Chromecast app on your Android/ iOS device
- Find the Chromecast device that you need to reset
- Go to Settings [ presented at the top right hand corner ]
- Go to More option [ three dots stacked on top of each other]
- For iOS device, select Reset. For Android device, select Factory reset Chromecast
- Confirm when prompted
- Through Chromecast dongle
- While the Chromecast dongle is plugged into the TV, hold down the side button on the dongle
- Keep holding the button till the light turn white [initially it will blink orange, then turn white ]
- Now release the button
- Your Chromecast will be rebooted