Here are discussing how to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070020. Microsoft releases Windows update. The latest updates come with new features and security updates. It is always advisable and important to get the updates installed. Nevertheless with updates, comes new errors. Users may get issues in the installation process. Usually these Windows 10 update installation errors are common. But the various error codes that may come up, can be fixed. So let’s see how Windows update error 0x80070020 can be fixed. There are some workarounds and tips given below to solve the problem.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070020
First thing to try is to disable the antivirus. The third-party antivirus installed on your PC may cause problems when you try to install the latest Windows 10 update. So disable it. Windows has its own antivirus Windows Defender. So any other such software may create problem in the update installation.
If disabling the antivirus is not helping, you have to go for Update troubleshooter. Run the official Update Troubleshooter tool. Follow the steps below to run the Update troubleshooter. It will help fix the issue.
- Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft.
- Then launch it and do as instructed.
- Now try the update installation once again.
Windows process, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), delivers updates to the PC. We have to make sure it is not because of BITS that we are facing errors. If the BITS process has problems, you are bound to get issues in installing Windows 10 updates. So we will see how to restart BITS. Follow the steps below to restart BITS service.
- Press Win + R keys to open Run.
- Then type services.msc in Run.
- Now look for service Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Then right-click on the service and click on Properties.
- In Properties, go to General tab. Now there you will find Startup type.
- In Startup type, select Automatic.
- Now in case the service BITS is not running, you have to start it. To do so, right-click on the service and click Start.
- Confirm and close.
Now try to install the update.
Run SFC/SCANNOW Command
This is one last tips to fix Windows Update error 0x80070020. This command will scan the PC and try to fix if there are any problems and features that are not performing correctly. To run the sfc/scannow command in Windows 10, below the steps to follow.
- Click Start and in the search bar, type cmd.
- Now right click on result and run it as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, type sfc/scannow.
- Now once the process scans and tries to fix the problems, close the Command Prompt window.
- Then try to install Windows 10 update.
These are some of the fixes for Windows Update error 0x80070020. We hope we could help you fix the issue.
You may also be interested in: Replace Paint 3D with Paint Classic in Windows 10 Creators Update