If you are looking for extending memory space in your Android smartphone, this article will be guide you to do so. So let’s see how to set up a new SD card in Android for extra storage space. Here we are talking about Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Follow the steps below to see How to Set Up a New SD Card in Android for Extra Storage
So you have a SD card or flash drive to use as an portable storage
How to Use an SD Card as Portable Storage
- Insert the card it into the microSD slot. Then you will see a notification which tells you that your SD card or USB drive has been detected.
- In case it is an SD card, Set Up button will be visible
- Now select Use as portable storage
- To view the contents of the drive, tap on Explore button when it appears in the notification.
- Another way could be going to Settings, then to Storage & USB
- Tap on name of the drive
- Now the Android’s new file manager shows you the files on the drive to manage
- Next tap on Eject button to safely remove the drive.
How to adopt a MicroSD Card as Internal Storage
- Before you can use an SD card, a speed test is performed by Android. This is let you if the card is too slow to run properly. NOTE: All the contents of the drive will be erased, so make sure that you backup the data
- For the test, insert the SD card
- Select Setup
- Now Choose Use as internal storage
- Once done, navigate to Settings, then to Storage & USB
- Tap on the drive
- Now tap on menu
- Select Migrate data
How to adopt the drive as part of the device’s internal storage
- The storage device will be present in the Settings app
- Open the Settings app, tap on Storage & USB option, and then you can see the external storage devices
- Select the device that you want to turn from the portable SD card into internal storage
- Next, on the top-right of the screen, tap on the menu button
- Now select Settings
- Select Format as internal to adopt the drive as part of the device’s internal storage. Do back up your data first.
- Now to make internal SD card portable,
- Navigate to Settings, then to Storage & USB
- Now tap on the device name
- Next tap the menu
- Tap on Format as portable
We hope that was helpful. Please share your comments with us.