Larian’s ambitious role-playing game is getting a new update. Patch 6 brings a new class and region as well as a more than unusual new weapon.
In a perfect world, Baldur’s Gate 3 would now be about to be released. Because the developer studio Larian planned to have early access around one year. But in the meantime, the release has been postponed to 2022, and the early access version continues to receive updates.
After players were rewarded for good role play in July with Patch 5, Larian has now published Patch 6 directly after a live stream. In this article, we summarize all the new features of the update.
When is Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 6 Releasing?
Patch 6 is already available for the Early Access version of Baldur’s Gate 3. There is no waiting time as before with major updates; instead, buyers can start directly with the new content.
What innovations does Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 6 bring?
It is the biggest update so far for Baldur’s Gate 3 also brings a lot of content on the scales. The biggest innovations:
- New class: The magician is introduced for the first time. The Classes can do exactly what one expects from the name: cast powerful spells and use metamagic. A magician can use this to adapt his Spells in battle. And increase the range or combine two Spells.
- New region: With Grymforge, there is a completely new area. It is an ancient Sharran fortress where countless enemies, new quests, fresh loot, and more await you. The EA version can keep you busy even longer than it already is.
- Weapon actions: In addition to the magic side, Patch 6 is also dedicated to classic long-range and combat weapons and adds to the system of weapon actions. Characters who are good at a specific weapon now receive up to three special actions that can also weaken or stun enemies.
- Salami Swords – Seriously? Yes, we didn’t make that up. With patch 6, players can equip salami sausages as one-handed weapons. This little gag came about after Larian’s big Larp event during the last patch reveal. Here the chat could decide how developers in costumes should behave in certain situations. One decision was to poke armor with a salami.
- Graphic revision: Although Baldur’s Gate 3 already looked nice, the developers have continued to refine the presentation. The lighting system has been heavily revised, the characters are now dirty and bloody, and both Nvidia’s DLSS and AMD’s FSR are supported.
Incidentally, we already looked at how good Baldur’s Gate 3 is in general in Early Access at the time of the release and summarized it in a video.
How big is Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 6?
An update with so many new features also entails a correspondingly large download: You have to keep around 60 gigabytes free.
New class: the magician can do that
After the addition of druid in patch 4, the wizard now follows. As the name suggests, it is a magic class and owes its power to a powerful bloodline. There are a couple of new spells to go with it:
- Horrific Visage: A tadpole action that causes the opponent to bleed and allows the caster to suck up a spell point.
- Enlarge / Reduce: With the spell, you can change the size of a character, which affects his physical stats.
- Chromatic Orb: A spell against a target in which the caster throws a ball of energy at enemies and can choose an energy effect (fire, acid, or lightning).
- Cloud of Daggers: A defensive spell that surrounds the caster with flying daggers.
- Crown of Madness: The spell can drive enemies insane, after which they attack their allies nearby.
- Metamagic: The wizard’s trait allows him to customize spells in the middle of a battle.
As is already the case with the other classes, there are also two subclasses for the magician. Either the wizard decides to manipulate chance or to use the powers of dragon ancestors:
- Wild Magic: You manipulate the forces of a chance to give yourself an advantage on attack rolls or ability tests, for example.
- Draconic bloodline: Thanks to the dragon ancestors, wizards with this subclass rely on fire, lightning, acid, poison, or cold damage. In addition, these wizards are given spells that match their ancestors, such as Burning Hands for Red Dragons.
What happens to the saved games?
Since this is such a comprehensive update, older saved games are no longer compatible. Should you forego the update and prefer to continue your existing game, you can do that too. But you have to play on a different beta branch for this.
How to switch the version of Baldur’s Gate 3:
- Right-click on Baldur’s Gate 3 in your Steam Library and choose Properties.
- In the Next menu, navigate to the Betas item.
- Click in the upper field and expand it.
- Here you can now select the version that is still compatible with your saved games.
Larian also notes that you should disable all mods if you want to install Baldur’s Gate 3 Patch 6.